Lately I’ve been trying to make some positive changes in my life. It’s that time of year when I start feeling the pull towards making my life more… Complete isn’t the right word, but it’s the closest one I can think of at six o’clock in the morning. Fulfilling! That’s the word I’m looking for. I figured this year instead of waiting for Samhain to come along to start with resolutions, I’d just do them early since I’ve been in the mood to.
In order to keep myself in line, I figured I might as well post my resolutions up onto my blog. That way maybe I’ll feel the need to keep up with them when I don’t feel like it. So here goes…
1. I will wean myself off the bottle. Not milk. Not alcohol. Soda. Glorious diet cherry Pepsi soda. I drink way, way too much of it, and I don’t want to drink it anymore at home. I’ve decided when I’m out to eat I will treat myself to it. So lately I’ve worked on drinking more tea with stevia, which I’ve actually found myself falling in love with even more than soda. I drink a couple cups of mate before meditating. I try, though not my hardest, to drink a glass of water in between glasses of other things, but you can’t change everything at once and expect to stick with it.
2. I will keep my apartment clean. This one is hard, hard, and hard. I’m a busy girl. I’m a Libra (living with a Virgo. Yikes!). I have been diagnosed with AD/HD. I have a world of excuses as to why my apartment is a cluttered mess. But seriously, the excuses need to stop. My home is supposed to be a sanctuary and temple. Making this a spiritual duty has made it easier on me lately.
You should see my spotless kitchen! I started there, because the kitchen is the modern hearth, the place of nurturing and altar to Hestia. I’m keeping it clean for this month. Next month I start in on the bedroom, which is where I’m going to keep my new altar. I’m going from room to room month by month. I’ve been trying FLYlady, but it’s just not working for me the way it is at this point (Though I love it). So I’m making up my own rituals and plans to get my apartment prettified.
3. I will get back into my spirituality. This one is off to a great start! I have this blog to thank, all the encouragement that’s come via comments from people, and all the great blog posts I’ve been reading by other authors. Thank you so much. Ya’ll are the best.
4. I will celebrate the wheel of the year. I’m actually really excited about this one. I have big dinners planned for the next two sabbats where I’ve invited my parents to come celebrate, too. I’m not the biggest formal ritual girl, but I’m going to give it more of a go. Rituals can be simple. They don’t all have to be as formal as the ones I used to carry out as a teenager (straight from books).
5. I will, however, try to keep up on my daily devotions and rituals. Like I’ve taken to cleaning my stove every morning to the point where it sparkles for Hestia. And when I wash my face and brush my teeth, I pray to Apollo – God of Purification and one of my patrons. I’m still trying to think of something to do for Hecate, but I’ll get there – Suggestions are welcome, of course! (I do need to keep up on my monthly new moon devotions to her.)
There’s a lot more, but I think for now five is enough. Change doesn’t happen overnight, and if I load myself up too much I won’t change at all.